Monday, April 5, 2010

To love as Jesus did

Yesterday, on Easter sunday, while pondering the awesome event that Christians celebrate all over the world, something the woman who discovered and founded Christian Science came to thought. Just looked it up and want to give it here. It's from Mary Baker Eddy's message to The Mother Church, 1902 (page 19):

"The nature of Jesus made him keenly alive to the injustice, ingratitude, treachery, and brutality that he received. Yet behold his love! So soon as he burst the bonds of the tomb he hastened to console his unfaithful followers and to disarm their fears."

This just blows me away, to be so filled with divine Love that one could do this. And it gives me renewed incentive feel more of the love Jesus lived, to let it pour out on all in my everyday experience. How the world needs this Christlike love. And how vital it is for us to live it as we never have before. Our very well-being depends upon it. I say to myself, if our Lord and Master with all he endured at the hands of man could still love, then I can do it. And I intend to do a better job at it.

And following the words I quoted earlier are these: "The Christian Scientist cherishes no resentment; he knows that that would harm him more than all the malice of his foes. Brethren, even as Jesus forgave, forgive thou. I say it with joy, -- no person can commit an offense against me that I cannot forgive. "

If Christ Jesus, if the woman who endured so much to give divine Science to mankind, went through all they did and still could feel love for others, then this is the goal for me.