Friday, April 9, 2010

Movin' On

(c) By: Sharon Slaton Howell



I don't know about you,
but when relationships change,
there's no use in haning on --
and I'm talking about
someone clinging to me.
Do not like people draped
around my shoulders, as it were,
wanting friendships to remain
frozen, static,
rooted in musty past.
After all, no one owns us, do they?
It's like we want to leave town,
go to places new,
and someone wants us to stay,
keep things the same old way.
As some friends of Samuel Johnson
once came to him and said,
"Sir, we have a claim on you."
Whereupon the great man replied,
"You MAY think that."
And he went right on
doing what he wanted to,
paying no heed to their
attempts to hold him back.
There's nothing like being
together, yet being free.
(My family and I have this,
and to me, it's the way to be.)
But isn't this cold and un-Christian,
you may be thinking about now.
No it isn't, not to me.
In fact, I am finding
the more I try to do
what Christ Jesus taught,
this has set me oh so free,
disentangled me from
relationships outgrown,
removed me from places
where I no longer needed to be.

How priceless, the freedom
to get on with being all
our Maker wants us to be!