Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Some words from Martin Luther

Ran across some thrilling words in a book I got from the Farragut Public Library that are causing me to pray a lot more for this Cause of ours, and thought some of my readers might like to see them. I immediately thought of Jesus' declaration, 'Without me, ye can do nothing." (John 15:5)

"One of the principles most firmly maintained by Luther was that there should be no resort to secular power in support of the Reformation. He declared that 'doctrine of the gospel should be defended by God alone. The less man meddled in the work, the more striking would be God's intervention in its behalf.'

During the struggle at Augsburg, Luther 'did not pass a day without devoting three hours at least to prayer. In the privacy of his chamber he was heard to pour out his heart before God in words 'full of adoration, reverence, and hope, as when one speaks to a friend.