Friday, June 12, 2009

"Feed My Lambs"*

"Feed My Lambs"*


(c) By: Sharon Slaton Howell



It wasn't a little lamb
looking back at me just now
as I opened the door to the
garage to put out trash,
but a little masked creature,
very, very hungry.
It (a mother with young to feed?)
had been drawn in by the dogfood,
some of which we piled near
the edge of our woods.
Soon this darling thing came back
and fell upon the food.
With ever-shrinking habitat,
this happens with woodland
creatures more and more.
As satisfying as this
always is, in its way,
to feed an animal in need,
now to food of another kind --
the spiritual nourishment
so many are starved for
(though they may know it not) --
the life-giving Word of God.
What a privilege it is
for us to be doing what
we can to feed His lambs,
to be carrying out Jesus'
charge to Peter.

Our Master's heartfelt plea --
what purpose for you and me.

*John, chapter 21