Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Very Practical Religion

(This was written by my dear friend, John Wellsman, and I love being able to share it with you.)


Many years ago as a new student of Christian Science, I had the privilege to meet personally with an experienced Christian Scientist whose name at that time would have been considered a household fixture to most Christian Scientists due to his lifelong dedication to and work for the Cause of Christian Science.

Although I had known this individual for several years, this particular conversation was our first on some of the deeper aspects of Christian Science.  At one point this gentleman asked me how I worked to protect myself with regard to crime.  After hemming and hawing for a moment, I admitted that I guessed I didn't have anything specific that I worked with.  Undoubtedly this man had sensed a need on my part because he lovingly shared the fact that he often worked with this idea:  "The same Mind that protects me prevents them."  The same Mind.

That simple phrase has stayed with me over the years and I can't begin to express my gratitude for the individual's sharing it with me.  It has provided much food for thought and proved applicable to a wide variety of situations in areas such as business and supply.  It applies literally to "office politics."  And it's been very helpful to know that "the same Mind that supplies me, directs potential clients to me."

Recently another application occurred with regards to the current political situation here in the United States  Almost despairingy I yearned for some comforting truth to apply to the situation.  Instantly this thought came to me: "The same Mind that inspired, illuminated, directed and governed the formation and establishment of the greatest Christian-based nation this world has ever seen will most certainly preserve, protect and prevent its' destruction."  The same Mind.

It was so clear that the establishment of the United States of America was no accident.  The Founding Fathers, and over the years the countless individuals who have served in so many capacities to preserve and protect the concept of individual self-government upon which this nation is based have been divinely inspired and guided whether they realized it or not.  The same Mind that created this nation will prevent its destruction from without or within.  All anyone needs to do is to see this truth, accept it and cherish its' power.