Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Second to None

It is a holy day
when this becomes clear:
we aren't going to be
the smartest, the richest,
or the best-looking one around
but this one great thing
we all of us can do:
worship and serve that One
Who is second to none...
work to become second to none
when it comes to acknowledging
Him who gives us life
and breath and all things.
With Christ's example in full view --
such a faithful Son! --
there's no higher goal,
nothing with more bliss in it,
than making this our lifetime work...
to love and praise our God,
as Jesus did -- wholeheartedly.

So when it comes to adoring You,
dear loving Father,
I intend to be second to none.

Even now, You hear me say:
"You may have a daughter somewhere
who thanks You more than I do."

"But I doubt it,"
I always tell Him.