Thursday, March 10, 2011

What Love Can Do

(Just got an email from a Christian Science friend in Texas, Susan, who is one lover of God's creatures. And it has inspired me to post the following one of my poems for other such benefactors of animals who read my blog)

 Faithful Companions

 (c) By: Sharon Slaton Howell

I believe nothing one can do
Can repay a dog's devotion,
Nor bring that emotion
Of being uniquely cared for.
There was this one day
When feeling quite ill,
I was flopped across the bed.
At once our dog came up beside,
Placed a big paw on my arm
And stayed with me for some time,
As if to say, "I understand what
You're going through."
Words, as any dog-lover knows,
Can't convey the peculiar comfort
And peace this brought me.
I actually felt better physically,
The love being shown so pure--
The love being shown,
A reflection of that love
God feels for all His creation.
It left me feeling quite sure
This aided in my recovering.
How could I not with
Such a companion hovering?

And some people say animals are dumb.
Yeah, right!