Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Only One Cause

Sometimes we mistakenly consider the occurrence of illness, accident, or misfortune to be synonymous with adverse aftereffects, such as a slow or only partial recovery. This, however, does not have to be the case. By discovering the true, or spiritual nature of cause and effect, we can cope with the situation.

Christian Science, in accord with the inspired Word of the Bible, teaches that God is the only cause, the sole creator of the universe, including man, and that this creation is spiritual, wholly good. As the Bible declares in the very first chapter, "God saw every thing that he had made, and behold, it was very good". Accepting this revelation of the divinely spiritual nature of all being, Christian Science reasons that all cause and effect are spiritual and that all is the perfect handiwork of God, divine Mind.

What of the evil, sickness, accident, and lack that appear so real? Christian Science shows these are manifestations of the misconception that there is a power opposed to God, infinite Truth. But because God's all-encompassing good neither creates erroneous conditions nor recognizes them, they cannot affect His perfect reflection man. These illusions of material thinking are powerless, unreal, without substance. They have no power over the one who spiritually understands and claims this.

Mary Baker Eddy, who discovered and founded Christian Science, says in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures on page 207: "There is but one primal cause. Therefore there can be no effect from any other cause, and there can be no reality in aught which does not proceed from this great and only cause."

My own experience bears this out, and has done so many times. I remember one instance when we were living and working in Seoul, Korea. As I was leaving the office one day on the way to meet friends for lunch, I walked through two large plate-glass doors just as one door came partially unhinged. The door struck me on the side of my head, and knocked me backwards. At first I was too stunned to do anything. But as soon as my thought cleared, I began declaring some of the spiritual truths learned in my study of Christian Science. People gathered around and offered help, but they were asured I was all right.

I continued silently knowing different truths that helped me realize man's unity with God, divine Mind. These divine facts lifted my thinking to the recognition that in reality, nothing had happened to separate me from God's omnipresent care. I knew that in His kingdom, where man always abides, there could be no accidents, and therefore no painful effects.
During lunch, I kept pondering spiritual truths, and by the time I returned to work, the pain had stopped, and there were never any aftereffects.

Christ Jesus knew God as the source or originator o fall things, the loving creator of the universe , including man. In healing the sick, stilling the tempest, feeding the multitudes, and raising the dead, our great Master demonstrated that cause and effect are spiritual.

Any person tuning into this blog can gain a demonstrable understanding of God as the only cause and creator, and succesffully apply this knowledge to his every human need. Such knowledge is not only powerful; it is practical. It enables anyone to prove that man is subject only to God's beneficent laws, that in reality, there can be "no effect from any other cause."