Tuesday, March 15, 2011

And the little bird flew right off

Had another instance of what Christian Science can do in our lives just this morning, and I'm sure those who love God's creatures will rejoice with me.

Earlier this morning, I happened to notice a tiny little bird, a goldfinch, lying listless on the walk beside some of our bird feeders. It may have flown into a window and been knocked nearly senseless. I picked it up to see if it was still breathing and one wing seemed not operative. I placed it high up on a ledge so as to keep it safe, then began praying. It just wasn't right for this bird to pass away from shock and injury.

The truth that came instantly to thought which provided the basis for my metaphysical work was this: "Life is real, and death is the illusion." It's from Mary Baker Eddy's book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, page 428. Another reaffirmation that life is spiritual, not at the mercy of material happenings, is this statement also from her book where she defines "Death. An illusion, the lie of life in matter; the unreal and untrue; the opposite of Life." (page 584)

Until about noon, I prayed with these divine truths and just now when I went outside to check on the little bird, it was sitting up and instantly flew away, completely free. Can you imagine the joy I feel at seeing God's power in operation once again and my gratitude to Him for the teachings of Christian Science.