Friday, October 22, 2010

Making Peace

Our heavenly Father can use any circumstance in the happenings of our day to day, to glorify His Son , I find. And just this morning, experienced a small example of this.

Yesterday a neighbor was more than a little inconvenienced by a mix-up at one of the local bookstores. He had driven there to get one of my books, and due to the, what seemed to me, incompetence of one of the employees, came away upset. I called, of course, to try to straighten things out. But the phone conversation didn't go smoothly. The result was less than good feelings on both sides.

Then, early this morning God made it clear that I was the one who needed to lead the way, go out of my way, to carry out what a follower of Christ must do: make peace.

I thought of Jesus' "Blessed are the peacemakers" as well as this from the Old Testament: "He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with they God?" (Micah 6:8)

Initially, "Humble is not something I can do this morning" I said to myself. It didn't seem to me that I needed to do anything. It was up to the other individual, I self righteously thought. But the prompting kept coming. So a letter wrote itself, which I just delivered to the store. And this was well received and smoothed things out--even got a warm hug from the girl. When we try to do what God expects of us, all concerned are going to be blessed. We can count on it.