Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Golden Rule and Our Thoughts

Read recently something Mary Baker Eddy wrote in "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures" that caused me to think of Jesus' Golden Rule for living and its relationship to the thinking we do. "He" (speaking of Jesus in the sentence preceding) laid great stress on the action of the human mind, unseen to the senses." This is found on page 234. And it is causing me to examine my thinking of others more closely, to be sure I'm not sending out thoughts that I would not want to receive.

Is this demanding, this divine demand as I see it, to not only live in accord with what our Master has given us as guidelines for daily living, but to think in accord therewith? Extremely demanding. But as I've learned in my study of Christian Science, our experience and our health are tremendously affected by the habitual thoughts we entertain. And it behooves us to have as loving and Christlike a consciousness as we can have at this stage, to be sure we're not thinking the very opposite of what Jesus would countenance in a follower.

For God's creation, perfect and complete, includes us all, includes us every one. And as our heavenly Father has made and sees His man is the way I need to regard all others. Thus will I be keeping in daily living and thinking the spirit of our Master's words in Matthew 7:12 -- "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."