Saturday, June 5, 2010

Christ's power sustains us

With all the problems in this world of ours that need prayer, one may sometimes feel, "this is going to wear me out." But thank God for what we've been given in the Bible. So many comforting truths are there to give us all the help we need in not only praying about our own challenges, but being a blessing to mankind. And being a follower of Christ Jesus, we cannot afford to not do all the good we can.

One day while reading the New Testament, this verse from II Corinthians stood out to me. It's where Paul says, "And he said unto me, my grace is sufficient for thee." This lifted my thought from the suggestion that it was too much my shoulders upon which the work rested to a recognition of Who it is that does the work. I felt so inspired and energized in my praying. If anyone could have felt worn down by work in Christ's vineyard, it was Paul.

And this same truth that it is Christ's power that changes things, that heals, is reiterated in the teachings of Christian Science. I have learned to look on God as an everpresent, all-powerful help in any difficulty we come up against in daily life. For this I can never be grateful enough. I recall one incident years ago when I was very new in the public practice of my religion and a mother-to-be called for prayerful help. I agreed to take the case and began my prayerful work for her and the baby.

Things were not going well. The birth appeared to be quite difficult. The husband kept calling me with updates. I was doing the best I knew how to do, but was beginning to feel a bit worn out. Finally, I called my teacher in Christian Science, a wonderful healer, who listened to my plea, then said calmly, "My dear, let Christ do the work." Light dawned. I felt the burden of too much human--albeit sincere--effort lift. Very quickly, the husband called to report that whatever the impediment appeared to be earlier it was gone. The baby had been born and all was as it should be.

His grace, His healing power, is sufficient for you and me indeed!