Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Why No Comments Presently

A friend in Seoul asked me, "why are you blocking comments on your blog?" As my readers know, I am reachable via 2 different email addresses when they wish to comment on something I've posted. But this system is working better for me in this way: people who are sympathetic to my activities do not feel constrained to post a favorable comment, to be a cheerleader for me before the world, as it were. And I personally feel freer not being complimented too effusively. Yes, this is true! The rather hostile sentiments that were sometimes posted before I blocked them were not the problem: criticism I'm accustomed to given the work I'm in. Commitment to Christ Jesus and Christian Science does stir some people up, and they will, and have, hit out at me because of it. So, that I can take and even respond to when necessary. But leaving out the sometimes too personal element feels the right step for me, for now. And I can imagine for friends and acquaintances, as well.

As I've said, there are ways to reach me -- shslhowell@tds.net or shslhowell@aol.com And for those of you who are being in touch, happy to hear from you, always.