Thursday, July 23, 2009

Daughter of the King

There are people in our lives who have blessed us greatly. And one I'm thinking of is a Christian Science practitioner who was of inestimable help in meeting life's challenges. And something he said to me one day when I was in his Boston office telling him my latest tale of woe, I've shared with a friend. This lady would like to write poetry to honor Christ but feels inferior to other people. The following poem resulted from our discussion.


Daughter of the King


(c) By: Sharon Slaton Howell



You say you wish you had the
talent some other people do,
that you feel not confident,
sadly, not able to do.
Take God at His Word;
His tender love includes you.
No need to press your
pretty face to windowpane,
wishing you had the ability
and self-confidence others do.
You are now within the Father's house,
and all the good there belongs to you.
Refuse to doubt: accept with all your heart,
that what the Bible says is true.
God loves to bless His children all.
And all you need to give Him praise,
He can easily give to you.

"...Son, thou art ever with me"
(words so reassuring,
words so true)
"and all that I have is thine."
Christ Jesus

Rejoice! This wondrous truth
is meant for His daughters (and sons),
and let me stress, this means you.
As someone said to me years ago,
"Why, you're a daughter of the King.
Never forget this."
Did this make me sing.
And so, my lovely friend,
express what's in your heart.
Your heavenly Father/King
can help you start.