Thursday, July 16, 2009

What's Between Us and God?

There was Howard's smiling face when we walked into the restaurant we visit regularly. Because of a previous conversation about religion (he's a very sincere Christian man), I was armed with a quotation from the textbook of Christian Science, "Science and Health With Key to the Scriptures" by Mary Baker Eddy. It's from page 332 where she states: "As Paul says, 'there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus'". I handed the piece of paper to him, and said, this may put your mind at ease. We had discussed not having anything between us and our heavenly Father, and we could tell he was misinformed about what Christian Scientists believe about the Discoverer and Founder of our religion.

As we sat there and visited with him (things were slow at that early lunch hour) I felt led to say, "But Howard, think of all the people who have drugs between themselves and God. " We talked about Jackson's demise and his documented way-over-dependence on prescription drugs. I could see Howard was thinking about this aspect of worshipping--not God--but chemical substances.

This is a vast topic and one that could not adequately addressed over lunch. Or even in this blog. But the upshot is, for me, increased appreciation for the teachings of Christian Science that have enabled me to live free of reliance on drugs/pills/medicine for my physical and mental health. I can never thank God enough for that neighbor who spoke to my despairing mother whom doctors had given up on, about what Christian Science might be able to do for her. It did! And I am the beneficiary of what she learned about God's healing power in our lives.

Is living in fear of, what if I can't afford my 14 prescriptions each day, actually living?