Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Supply through reflection

As though people in the United States especially, and around the world as well, weren't worried enough about financial issues, the Dow falls 500 points yesterday. In thinking about this situation this morning, and wanting to offer something helpful, these thoughts came: first, these illuminating (to me) words of the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science from the book We Knew Mary Baker Eddy, where one of her pupils recalled a discussion in which she said: "When you stand before a mirror and look at your reflection, it is the same as the original. Now you are God's reflection. If His hands are full, your hands are full, if you image Him. You cannot know lack." (p. 134) Now I don't understand this to mean that God's hands are full of money but that His goodness is inexhaustible.

This sounds all well and good, some reader may be thinking right now, but is what you're saying practical? I have certainly found it so that spiritual truths or facts one learns in Christian Science, understood and held persistently within the mentality, will externalize itself in outward and visible forms. Let me repeat: it is divine law, active in our consciousness, that causes spiritual facts to become humanly and materially visible in our experience.

Not just words off the top of head here. Let me illustrate: years ago when I was leaving a paid job to become self-employed, the fear of not making it financially was great. I happened to mention this to a friend who calmly replied, "Why, income is within." Well, that went in one ear and out the other. But I did think about this statement since the one offering encouragement was living proof of what he was saying. The words above about reflection, as well as something Jesus says in Luke that "The kingdom of God is within you" (17:21) were such a help, and over time I learned to pray consistently from the basis of all good being already and always within us, of God's work being finished and perfect. The more I saw that I was not an incomplete, material being but God's spiritual image, His reflection, maintained forever by Him in a state of completeness and well-being, the financial picture improved to the point that fear of not having enough disappeared. There has always been abundance since.

So, let me say to anyone reading this blog in search of comfort and help, that from the standpoint of what our loving Father knows, only good is in store for us. We have a right to receive all we need to be successfully about His business of reflecting Him. The Psalmist promises: "I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread" (Ps. 37:25).

No matter how dire the human scene may look for us, God, divine Love remains the same--an ever-present, tender, caring supporter of all His little ones. You and I can count on it.