Sunday, September 21, 2008

Don't take my word for it

When I'm talking with someone new to the teachings of Christian Science, and I elaborate on just some of the healings I have had from its study (to do justice to which would take more time than you have to read), I, of course, point them to Mary Baker Eddy's masterwork, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. This inspired volume tells anyone interested in how Jesus did what he did, how he did it. Not only has my life has been so blessed by learning this. But hundreds of thousands of others have been empowered to experience God's healing and saving power. I say to them, you don't have to take my word for it; investigate Christian Science for yourself.

The teachings contained in Science and Health stress that Christ Jesus' life purpose was not only to inspire, but to show how to be free from every form of mateiral bondage, physical suffering included. He promised, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also" (John 14:12).

As countless readers of the Christian Science textbook have found to their great joy, when the divine facts that Jesus illustrated and practiced are brought into contact with one's fears, beliefs, and attitudes about disease, the result is a change of thought, a spiritualization of thought, a removing of the mental state causing the physical difficulty. As Mrs. Eddy explains: "The physical healing of Christian Science results now, as in Jesus' time, from the operation of divine Principle, before which sin and disease lose their reality in human consciousness and disappear as natually and as necessarily as darkness give place to light and sin to reformation. Now, as then, these mighty works are not supernatural, but supremely natural" (p. xi).

The discovery that Mary Baker Eddy made, that matter is really a mental phenomenon, was and is revolutionary. Though you may never have considered it in this way before, both the image of sickness and its expression in the body are false beliefs about you and me--not actual conditions. The understanding of this fact is a potent force in destroying physical suffering, as I have found so many times over the years.

It is by turning thought from an inharmonious problem and turning to God, contemplating man's real, spiritual selfhood as God's idea, that we are restored to health and well-being. God be thanked, I say, that we are His reflection, the expression of infinite, harmonious Spirit. And being His offspring, are never separated from our heavenly Father's tender, constant care.


Christ-healing is dependent on the removal of disease beliefs and fears. And it is the activity of the Christ in human consciousness that removes these fears and false beliefs. As the divine facts of existence displace mortality's lie in our thinking, a more normal, harmonious sense of being inevitably appears.

Have I awakened an interest in learning more of the divine metaphysics of Christian Science? I hope so, as you have no idea what wonderful things await you! So I say again, don't take my word for it. You may find out for yourself.