Wednesday, July 1, 2015

If Only





        If only I  had been stronger in my Christian beliefs back then, my life would have had far fewer challenges.  Perhaps for many of us this is true.

        I recall one incident in my college days when Jesus' teachings were just beginning to speak to me.  A misunderstanding erupted with a relative and I wanted to apologize to her, say I was wrong, make peace with her.  But another aunt said, "Oh, don't do that! She'll think you're weak." So I let the moment pass and didn't discover until years later the peace, the joy, that comes to us when we practice the humility and love Christ enjoins upon us.

        Anyone who thinks Jesus' words are for weakings doesn't know what he's talking about, is all I can say. Obeying them calls for nothing short of the most manly manliness one can imagine who hasn't yet tried it.

        Am I suggesting that once we get down to serious business about following in Jesus' steps our life will suddenly be challenge free?  In no way. There will be sharp struggles. But our day-to-day becomes much more alive -- happier, healthier, freer.  Just the way our wonderful Father wants it to be. He didn't send us this unspeakable gift for nothing.

       Life becomes for us a real adventure. And in the situations that once would have defeated us we now find ourselves having the mastery.

       Does this not make doing things Jesus' way worth it?