Tuesday, April 21, 2015

My Very Own Editor




        Many are the blessings that flow from acknowledging God with us in the things we do. And of late, I've noticed something new:  it's as though in my writing I have my very own editor.

        For many years I've kept in thought (and learned to think otherwise) what Mary Baker Eddy points out in her book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures:  "Mortal are egotists.  They believe themselves to be independent workers, personal authors, and even privileged originators of something which Deity would not or could not create."

        More and more, as I'm doing other things--driving along, walking our dogs, gardening, grocery shopping, cleaning the house--something I've written comes to mind and it's as though someone is improving a phrase here and there, changing a word to something clearer, making the piece better. Quite exciting.

        I've been privileged to work with fine editors over the years, those connected with my books, as well as the Christian Science periodicals.  And certainly editors at The New York Times are very, very good. But God tops them all!