Thursday, June 12, 2014

If Christ Can Deliver Me...




        ...then Christ can deliver you, from any of the strongholds of the prince of this world.  Our Master's warning I just have to share.

          "Ye cannot serve God and mammon", Jesus said one morning while teaching on a hillside. I struggled over this passage for years, with tears at times, since I was primarily concerned with getting daily bread, with things material.  In short with achieving/getting/having--not wholly with giving.  As a lifelong student of Christian Science, I knew better than this, knew that God made us to be living expressions of infinite, divine Love.

        I'll never forget the day the real awakening came.  Happening to pass by the headquarters of a major charity in Boston where we lived, I turned in to give a small amount to their work.  Surprised, the loving lady at the desk ushered me upstairs to the man in charge, who wanted to thank me personally.  For $20!  There behind a well-worn desk in a rather shabby office (these people do not enrich themselves, nor spend money on putting on a show), was a man with the most full of light, Christlike countenance I had ever seen--rich in a way I wanted to be but was not.

        Having just come out of a nice office, with salary to match, the contrast was striking--the beginning of a yearning to obey Jesus' words.  And joy to the world, having made it over this hump once and forever all, God did not leave me in need, begging in the street.  He never will who obey His words. Of this, we may be sure.