Monday, February 27, 2012

The Power of Jesus' Words in Our Lives

Was thinking this morning of an instance of what I say in the title to this blog post.  It was a perfect illustration of the practicality of the Master's teachings in our everyday lives--practical and potent when we take them to heart.

There I was in a meeting of a group to which I belong, called to conduct the business as well as choose a new officer for the coming year.  As with most groups, I suppose, there are more willing to be served, than to serve. It appeared that I might have to offer my time and effort.  But this just wasn't the right step for me to take at this time.  As the meeting progressed, and discussion ensued, I felt things closing in to the point that I was just about to speak up and say, ok I'll do it.

But just that morning, I had read Jesus' "...wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?", and these words came to thought.  (Luke 2:49) Thinking about this, it seemed to me that it was an answer for me, that I needed to focus on my real business of following Christ and serving higher work in my daily life.

As so often happens when we desire to obey God and serve Him, someone quite unexpectedly offered their services.  I was so relieved and happy that I didn't have to do something not right for me at that time.  The whole thing was taken out of my hands without a word from me.

That Christ Jesus' words have power in our lives to bring solutions, to direct us, to keep us in the upward way, is beyond all doubt.  How thankful I am for these sublime teachings!