Monday, February 27, 2012

No Danger of Addiction

There's one thing for sure; relying on divine means for health does not lead to addiction.

Why am I on this topic?  Because of something that happened this morning as I was standing in line at the post office.  The woman behind me volunteered that she was feeling stressed out.  To my "Why?" she replied that she has a 30-year old daughter who is addicted to drugs.  Not only this, she and her husband are having to take care of their 4-year old granddaughter.  It came out in the conversation that what led to this state of affairs for woman's daughter started with reliance on prescription drugs, which led to over-dependence, which resulted in addiction. (A big problem here in the state of Tennessee.)

My heart went out to this lady, and I couldn't help thinking, Oh she only knew of  Christian Science.  What a help and comfort its teachings would be.  I gave her a warm hug when I finished my business, and if I run into her again, will make the opportunity to get into a discussion of what God can do for her and her family. 

I couldn't help thinking of my religion, and the gratitude I feel for having been brought up with reliance on God's great healing power--not material medicine or drugs.  And what Christian Science has done in my life, and the life of my family, it can do for others.  I've touched on this in a previous post, the one before last--"It's Right to Rely on God for Healing" which anyone interested can read. 

Though I have not had personal experience of someone being healed of prescription drug addiction, I know of individuals who had to have cigarettes and alcohol who, through turning to divine power for help, lost their desire for these things.  And having seen what God can do for us, I know He can free a person from having to have drugs.

As the Old Testament states:  "Ah Lord God!" Jeremiah exclains.  "thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:"

And lastly, something Mary Baker Eddy writes seems pertinent to this topic.  "If drugs are part of God's creation, which (according to the narrative in Genesis) He pronounced good, then drugs cannot be poisonous. If He could create drugs intrinsically bad, then they should never be used.  If He creates drugs at all and designs them for medical use, why did Jesus not employ them and recommend them for the treatment of disease?"  (Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, page 157)

Something for the readers of my blog who aren't Christian Scientists to think about.