Friday, October 14, 2011

Giving back to God

We watched an interesting documentary last night on the remarkable building that Egyptians did a couple of centuries before Jesus appeared.  And thinking about the monuments they raised to honor their Pharoahs, I couldn't help pondering this verse from the Old Testament:  "What shall I render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me?"  (Psalms 116:12)  Is this not a sublime prayer!

When one thinks of all the blessings our loving heavenly Father daily pours out upon us, it is natural that we would want to give back in some way.  One can well understand men's desire through the centuries to erect structures reaching up to the heavens.  Contemplating all this on my early morning walk with one of our dogs, I concluded that the best way to acknowledge God's gifts is to take seriously what He gave His Son to give to us.  As God says in the New Testament:  "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him."  (Matthew 17:5)

What higher monument could we build to show our gratitude than living what Jesus commanded?  And being a student of the Christ Science, I followed out my thinking on this theme, that the way we honor our Father is staying true to what Mary Baker Eddy has revealed of the truths that were the basis of our Master's glorious teachings and healings.