Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Innocence

(The following poem was just published in the Oak Ridge, Tennessee Humane Society newsletter, also that of a humane society in Scotland.  Why am I posting it on a religious website?  Because little, and big, creatures are God's creation and need all the love you and I can give.)



Who could look at a sleeping dog

And not feel his or her heart tug?

Someone who needs to feel love more,

A person whose soul has

Yet to be awakened, that's who.

Is there anything more disarming

Than one's bloved pet in repose?

I suppose.

Perhaps to a parent gaving at their child.

About this I wouldn't know.

I say to our doggie,

You are sometimes challenging when awake;

(Especially when it thunders).

You were as a puppy sometimes wild.

But when asleep on floor/bed or rug,

Your innocence moves me to the core.