Monday, April 25, 2011

"Feed My Lambs"

It wasn't a little lamb looking back at me just now as I opened the door to the garage to put out trash--but a little creature, very, very hungry.  It (a mother with young to feed?) had been drawn in by the bag of dog food, some of which we pile near our woods for the woodland creatures that visit each night--foxes, skunks, possums, coyotes now and then, and of course raccoons.  The night's supply had all been eaten obviously, or this animal was especially hungy. Soon this darling thing came back and fell on the food I put out.  With an ever-shrinking habitat, wild creatures have to find food wherever they can.

As satisfying as it was to, in its way, to help an animal in need, I couldn't help thinking of another kind of nourishment millions of people are hungry for, though they know it not.  Not yet.  And what is this life-giving nourishment?  The teachings of Jesus Christ.  What a privilege, what joy it is for you and me to be doing what we can to feed His lambs, to be carrying out something dear to our Master's heart--Jesus' solemn charge to Peter:  "So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?  He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee.  He saith unto him, Feed my lambs."  (John 21)