Friday, December 3, 2010

Preventing Seasonal Suffering

(Written by John Wellsman)

On page 234 line 31 of the Christian Science Textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Mary Baker Eddy states,

"Evil thoughts, lusts, and malicious purposes cannot go forth, like wandering pollen, from one human mind to another, finding unsuspected lodgment, if virtue and truth build a strong defence."

(The italics are mine in the above quote)

A couple of years ago I saw a very dramatic example of this statement in action. In the course of business, I was approached by a woman who began with great enthusiasm to tell me about how the "flu season" was going to be terrible that particular year and she had proof she wanted to share with me. No sooner had she launched into her story than I began to declare vehemently in my own thought that, "This isn't true and I'm not going to accept it!" as well as some other appropriate truths. Immediately it was as if a steel wall came between us. Although I stood facing her with what I hope was a polite smile on my face, none of her story was penetrating my consciousness. Truth had indeed built a "strong defence." Suddenly, she stopped, almost in mid-sentence with a rather puzzled look on her face, and immediately changed the subject entirely. Within a brief moment she was called away to answer the telephone. Allthough I remained in this place of business for perhaps another twenty minutes, this woman was constantly occupied with her own activities and as I left, I gave her a pleasant wave which she returned as I exited the building.

Interestingly, for the remainder of that so-called "flu" season, I noticed perhaps only one or two newspaper articles referring to the "flu." Obviously I really wasn't looking for such stories and perhaps missed them entirely. I certainly didn't read the ones which I noticed.

I am indeed grateful to Mary Baker Eddy and her gift to the world of the Science of Christianity and its daily practicality.