Thursday, August 19, 2010

Reply to someone trying to "save" me!

Every now and then, some well-meaning member of another Christian denomination will come across something I've blogged on Christian Science, and allow themselves to get all worked up. And some will reach out and try to "save" me! Whether in emails or letters or phone calls, or collaring me in person, their efforts amuse me. It just isn't possible to turn me away from my religion that I thank God for every single day.

A few years ago, a dear lady who tried every way she could think of to dissuade me from Christian Science received a, I trust, loving reply from me. This stopped it, and I excerpt some of the thoughts I shared with her, below:

"Dear_____:

Since I see no other way to follow in Jesus' footsteps 100% without striving to understand how to heal as he did--through the aid of Christian Science -- I ask myself, how can you be 100% obedient to his commandments? Just a thought I have, and have had. This isn't to say the road isn't terribly rugged for followers of my religion at times. You would have to have stayed with its teachings these past few years to understand just how rugged. But I could not go one day without its truths that encourage and help us to rely on God for every problem we have.

Christ and Christian Science are what I need. More than I could desire, in fact. And my admiration and respect for Mary Baker Eddy, who as you will recall, once wrote, 'I love Jesus more than any man who ever was and is' can't be shaken. I do not know where I would be without CS and could never pay off my indebtedness to God for making it available in my life. As you know, my mother left the Methodist church she loved when CS healed her dramatically of something she had suffered for years which kind doctors could not relieve her of.

I know you are genuinely doing what you feel your beliefs endorse. But your praying for my "soul" is not going to change my beliefs -- no, my convictions -- in the least. So, let us agree to part in love for Christ our Saviour."