Sunday, August 1, 2010

From Betty Gillingham, C.S.

I am grateful to God for so many things! I've been thinking lately about feeling comforted. Christian Science to me is such a comfort, especially in these times that trouble so many. It helps me to not feel fearful, with all the media reports about the economy, predicted diseases, threats to our country's safety, and so on.

Of course, our Lord and Master, told us what to expect. In Luke Jesus says plainly, in verse after verse in chapter 21 how challenging life is going to get. But I love this, in verse 28: "And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh."

Christian Science helps me do just this. I find in its teachings so many statements of truth that reiterate what Jesus said and taught. Which is the purpose of my religion being established by Mary Baker Eddy in the first place.

The way I became a Christian Scientist is this: I was a Christian, baptized in my religion, worked hard in my church. But I wasn't satisfied, had gotten to the point where I had to know something more about God. I didn't know what this was at the time, just was searching for more. My friend in college was a devoted student of Christian Science and she mentioned it to me one day. She herself had just turned to it a year before. While talking with her one day about deeper issues, she said: "You will probably find what you are looking for in Christian Science. I certainly have." Later I got Mrs. Eddy's book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. I ate it up. I was ready for it.

I will say to someone who begins reading this life-changing book, that there will or may be many things you don't understand, and perhaps in this day and time, words that you need a dictionary for. I sure did. And I had just gotten my master's degree and was about to start teaching school. I kept looking up words unfamiliar to me and did I get a further education -- humanly and spiritually.

This was many decades ago, and through all these years -- many of them as a public practitioner of Christian Science -- I've not only seen numerous proofs of God's healing power. I have myself been blessed with so many healings through the understanding of God and man that our great Teacher, Christ Jesus, had.