Friday, July 2, 2010

What God's word can do

Last week I happened to hear on a favorite music station a composition by Felix Mendelssohn. For those of you who aren't into classical music, he was a nineteenth century German composer. The sublime thing I was hearing is "Hymn of Praise" -- glorious music. And I couldn't thinking of something I learned about him: he was brought up in the Jewish faith, but one day he came into contact with a stray copy of the New Testament and happened to read Jesus' words. I don't recall precisely which words of our great Master he read. But heavenly lightning struck, and he converted to Christianity then and there. He was the only one in his family to do so. And one of my all-time beloved pieces of his is his "Elijah" oratorio. Especially inspiring, to me, is the music he wrote for "Then, then shall the righteous shine forth, as the sun in their heavenly Father's realm." Beyond the beyond!

To think that the words God gave Jesus to give to the world have that kind of redeeming, life-changing power. And we who are followers of Christ Jesus through the inspired teachings of Christian Science, as given by Mary Baker Eddy, know more than most just how much His word can do for us.