Monday, May 17, 2010

An exemplary Christian

Was just having a conversation with a friend in Georgia who shares my high regard for General Robert E. Lee -- someone I think of as one of my heroes. It isn't for his military expertise of which I know very little, but for his reverence concerning our dear Master. Lee was not ashamed to lift up the Name that is above every name, and more than one eye-witness records a prayer he would pray while the war was going on. "Have I thanked You enough today for Your unspeakable gift?" he would pray. Just think of the influence for good on the men under his command who heard him say it. And all those who have read his stirring words since.

Lee's example of devotion to Christ Jesus inspires me to not overlook any opportunity that comes my way to acknowledge God's great gift to mankind. I say, God be thanked there have been men among us such as this exemplary Christian.