Monday, February 1, 2010

"Why, income is within"

(c)  By:  Sharon Slaton Howell


Were these words said to me
When just about to depart
From a steady income,
To the uncertainties
Of self-employment,
And expressing to a friend
My engulfing fear.
Was his remark just
So many airy words?
No, no, not at all.
This man, a former
Hollywood film director
Had heard the call
To enter the full-time
Practice of Christian Science,
Had proved his statement
In spades, with two children
In college, no less.
His intent was to bless,
To turn my thoughts to
What Christ Jesus taught,
That the kingdom of God
Is within me and you.
Nonetheless, was I still scared?
You bet.
And yet, take it from me,
All you who believe
Jesus meant what he said,
(As we certainly ought),
You can discover as I did,
That God has countless ways
To meet our needs,
That despite some dark days,
We belong to Him,
And He always sees us through
When we to Christ's indispensable
Teachings remain true.