Monday, April 20, 2009

No Walk in the Park

(In my continuous reading of Jesus' words marked in red in one of my Bibles, this statement from John 16:2 has stayed with me. Sobering to think about. This poem came as a result, and thought it might be of help to some of my fellow "soldiers of the Cross".)



No Walk in the Park


(c) By: Sharon Slaton Howell



Doing what God requires
is of course no lark.
Jesus never even hinted
it'd be a walk in the park.

In fact, Jesus left no doubt
just what could lie ahead
in these words to those
God-called men he led:

"...whosoever killeth you will
think that he doeth God service."
(John 16:2)

Doesn't need to be put
plainer than this for me.
Nor I suspect for you who
love Christ unconditionally.

But becoming more like our Saviour,
the most obedient-to-God man on earth,
shouldn't this some all out,
go-for-broke commitment be worth?

For we know, disobeying the God
we are taught to adore
is, sooner or later, sure to
cost us so much more.