Saturday, February 7, 2009

What God honours and prospers

I do a lot of thinking about the state of our organization, and feel led this morning to post the following thoughts on what is keeping it from enjoying the respect and growth its Founder, Mary Baker Eddy envisioned for it. The respect and growth it certainly had in her day.

Everyone knows of The Salvation Army and the worldwide affection and esteem it has. And having made a thorough study of its Founder, William Booth and the wonderful support of his sublimely spiritually-minded wife, Catherine, I actually copied down some of the letters she wrote to him when he was praying and struggling to find a way to serve Christ and help mankind more.
They were in England where their work began, and Booth had become disillusioned with the worldliness that had crept into the Methodist church after its saintly Founder, John Wesley, was no longer on the scene. His later to be wife wrote to him, "Oh my dear William, depend upon it, it is not talent or learning (however estimable as instruments), nor might nor power, but 'My Spirit saith the Lord,' It is a soul spending itself simply for this one end which God will honour and which He always has honoured since He first spoke to man; and just in proportion as other motives operate will He cause disappointment and vexation of spirit. The present state of the Church proves this; and the Church has got machinery enough, talent of the first order, numbers, organizations, money, etc. etc. etc. and God seems to be standing aloof looking on and saying,
'You are trying to do My work in your own strength and in your own way, trying to build up systems and teach men's intellects and please your own fancies, instead of ever remembering My word, 'without Me ye can do nothing.' "

I realize this may well generate some negative comments which I will not post unless the individual disturbed with me has the courage to affix their name. And even then I may not. Certainly not any smiling-while-tearing-me-to-bits comments. This shows what it is in my heart about our Cause, and what I see is missing from official policies and actions right now. I realize that those who have their salaries paid by the Church Center and/or wish to keep pleasing individuals--right or wrong--won't be happy with this blog post. But it doesn't matter. I will not put up with someone egging our house, then hiding in the bushes, as it were.

Is it just our Church that needs to be much more intent on glorifying God and serving His interests? Of course not. I have a dear friend in Aberdeen, Scotland who has become disillusioned with his church, the Church of Scotland, for primarily the same reasons as I bring out. But regardless of what others are not doing, this deeply religious man intends to honour Jesus Christ in every way he can.

Will close this off for now with a personal experience I had when I worked at the Church Center. One day at lunch felt inspired to walk down to the Boston headquarters of The Salvation Army. Wanted to leave only $20. The loving receptionist said, Oh let me take you upstairs. The man in charge here will want to thank you personally. For only $20, mind you! I was shown in to a rather shabby office. (They do not waste money on surroundings for themselves.) And there behind that worn desk sat a man with the most heavenly countenance I had ever seen, outside of 3 or 4 Christian Science workers I knew. He glowed with Christlike humility, joy, and love. I felt I was in a holy place, and can say that that reception I got changed my life. Yes, it did, in ways I will have to try to describe later. It is safe to say that he received only a pittance of a salary. But he was working for something much higher than self--to give, not get. He lived to bring honour to the world's Saviour.

As I feel we who love Christian Science need to do better. And I put myself at the head of the line where needing to follow better in Jesus' footsteps is concerned. The long and the short of it is, to me, that The Salvation Army has remained true to the principles of its Founder. The Christian Science Church has not.