Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A P.S. to "Where is Christ Jesus...?"

Just checked comments this morning, and want to pick up on something one person said. Appreciate all the thoughts you readers out there have shared. Your participation makes blogging such an alive activity for me, and I am grateful to you. To the individual who left our church because Jesus was presented as a mere historical figure, let me share an experience I had when we were moving down here from Boston, 1998. One of the movers was taking a break, and happened to pause at my office door. Asked what work I was in. One thing led to another and before we knew it, were deep into religious issues. We naturally got to Christ Jesus and his demands on his followers. Both of us loving Jesus as we did (and still do), this devout Baptist finally asked, "Do all members of your religion feel the way you do about Jesus?" I had to answer, unfortunately, no. This man said he knew some CS's and had never run into one like me. This bothered me, but as I said in my previous commentary, I am inspired to do what I can to awaken reverence for our dear Master. This is precisely why I began this blog, and already there is feedback that some progress is being made in this all-important direction. As I've said to a few friends who are with me in this endeavor, it seems the good we can do is very modest at this point. But oh the joy that comes from doing even this much!

And finally, to you who obviously love Christ Jesus: I hope you won't let what so many others do not think is vital keep you turned away from Christian Science. The Discoverer and Founder of my religion loved Christ Jesus more than all the world, she wrote. And she also wrote, that she had passed through deep waters to preserve Christ's vesture unrent. (These statements appear in "Prose Works") If others have dropped this vesture in the mud and even stomped on it in some cases--in a manner of speaking--take comfort in knowing that there are others of us who are trying to get Christ Jesus back at the very core of Christian Science today.

You have my loving, good thoughts...