Saturday, December 20, 2008

The textbook can sort it out

And by textbook, I mean Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, the book Christian Scientists study in accord with the Holy Bible. A few lines on something that came up in a conversation the other day, with a lady who doesn't like "filling my body with all those chemicals and drugs" as she put it. But feels so steeped in medicine, so dependent upon it, that she doesn't think she could turn to Christian Science for her health and well-being. She regulary tells me, you are so healthy!

What I shared with her, I'll share with you. My mother who was suffering greatly from a condition kind doctors could not cure, though they tried for years and years, was talking to a neighbor one day who had noticed the suffering this young mother with two infants was going through. She happened to mention that many people had been healed through reading "Science and Health" and that she might like to have this book. Immediately mother told the woman, but I just could not give up all my medicine. The woman wisely said, don't feel pressured about doing this right now. Just take this book, begin reading, and let it all get sorted out. You may find that Christian Science is the thing for you, you may not. Just go along as you are, and it can get resolved for you. Well, would you know, that problem that had plagued her since high school disappeared! She was overjoyed with this dramatic healing. Guess what she did? Threw out all the pills and never looked back. And an enduring blessing for me is that I was brought up with no fear of getting sick. Just never entered my mind. Her freedom from fear and thinking about disease and expecting it was gone. And what a legacy for her children.

And lastly, will share a wonderful experience I had with God's mighty curative power when I was in the first grade. Was playing out in the backyard, happened to come down a swing set with bare feet onto a razor-sharp, unsealed tin can. It went almost through to the top of my foot. The neighbor ran around and got my father who picked me up and carried me into the house. Instantly, mother called a Christian Science practitioner to begin praying for me. She asked my father, who was not a follower of her religion, if he gave his permission which he did. It does sound nearly unbelievable but I felt God's presence, felt no fear, actually felt a cozy, cared-for sense I recall. The foot was washed and wrapped up in cloth. The bleeding stopped almost at once, mother later said. The next day I could put some weight on that foot, which had had not one stitch inserted, no medical attention whatsoever. And I was back in school, walking about normally within three days. Is it any wonder I feel such gratitude for God's healing help as made available to the world through the teachings of Christian Science!

The Discoverer and Founder of my religion points out in the textbook on page 217: "That scientific methods are superior to others, is seen by their effects." I can say Amen to this!