Friday, November 28, 2008

What the world is hungry for

Of course, countless men, women and children around the world need bread. Of course, they do. But it is my feeling that they need to hear the teachings of Christ Jesus more. Two small experiences recently bring this home to me:

We were walking our dogs in a local park as we regularly do when a young girl jogged by us. We had seen her before but this day, she turned back and said: "You don't know what your happy faces do for me!" Total surprise as we didn't know she needed to see some joy expressed. Caused us to feel humble and glad we were of some uplift to a person in need. Subsequently, we had opportunities to share just what it is that she felt those mornings, that it is love for Jesus' words that give us such joy in life. Turns out she, too, is quite religious. And one of these mornings, I intend to introduce Christian Science to her , just to give it credit for helping me understand Jesus' words and works, helping me with the challenges that inevitably arise in everyone's life.

The second heart-warming experience involves a librarian from Cardiff, Wales. She had received one of my books, and a poem in it, admittedly fervent for Christ Jesus, so touched her that she said in an email it has made her want to get back to the New Testament and read all Jesus said and did! Nothing I could have done could have brought about this result, certainly not being motivated to change someone, or get something for myself in return. No, it was, however slight it may be at this point, loving the Master's words, and making the effort to put them into practice. To know this woman's heart was warmed toward Christ means the world to me.



Both these instances show that people are hungering for what God alone has to give through His Holy Son, Christ Jesus. And to think that you and I are privileged to help feed the world's hunger in this heavenly work of loving and living Jesus' words.