Sunday, March 22, 2020

A time for "Love Thy Neighbor"

Of course, it's always the time to obey what our beloved Christ Jesus taught. But it seems to me with the uncertainty and fear gripping too many in the world right now, our selflessness is especially needed.

Recently I read a book that describes the conditions facing humanity during WW2.  This book focused on what my religion, Christian Science, did in Europe to comfort and help citizens  What stood out to me strikingly was the degree of unselfishness that prevailed, not only across the sea, but in the United States as people volunteered to make sure clothing and food would reach those in need.  Some of the accounts of putting self aside in sacrifices I can't even imagine brought tears to my eyes. Our Master's command was alive and well and practiced in circumstances most of us will never have to confront.  And surmount.

A line from a prayer written by the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science is something I've been thinking about this morning:  "And may Thy Word enrich the affections of all mankind, and govern them." (By Mary Baker Eddy)