Thursday, February 6, 2020

Love thy neighbor

        I was thinking the other night of Jesus' command to "Love thy neighbor", and wishing I had something meaningful to do to carry this out.

        Well, in the space of less than a day and a half, 3 ways to do this came to thought:

        The trash pick-up on our street was delayed from early morning to after dark.  It occurred to me to go out and roll my next-door neighbor's trash receptacle up her long driveway to right in front of her garage.  Such a simple thing to do.  The phone rang almost the minute I got back in the house.  She was just about to go out and get it herself  She said, "Bless your heart for doing this!"  It meant more to her than I expected.

        Then, at Starbuck where I often go for breakfast, I asked the manager, "How is your daughter?"  She and I had had a run-in much earlier over a botched-up order, and had not greeted each other too warmly.  She beamed (as mothers seem to do) and got out her phone with a photo of her 2-year old.  My asking pleased her no end.

       And I felt led to email a friend in another state who had been worried about getting through the winter in a l25-year old farm house.  My asking, "How are things?" meant way more to her than I thought it would.  My reaching out to her apparently came at the right time as she was missing a family member no longer with her.

        So, this all showed me we don't have to do something spectacular to love our neighbors.