Tuesday, May 1, 2018

"Feed My Lambs"

It wasn't a little lamb
Looking back at me
Toward sunset
As I opened the garage door
To put trash out,
But a little masked creature,
Very, very hungry
It (a young mother
with mouths to feed?)
Had been drawn in
By the bag of dog food
We put out by the woods
For any stray animals.
Soon this dear thing came back,
And fell upon the food.
With ever shrinking habitat,
This happens with woodland
Creatures more and more.
As satisfying this was, in a way,
To feed an animal in need,
I thought of food of another kind --
The spiritual nourishment
So many are starved for
(Though they may know it not) --
The life-giving Word of God.
What a privilege it is
For you and me to be doing
What we can to feed His lambs,
To  be carrying out Jesus'
Solemn charge to Peter.
And pure joy!