Monday, June 17, 2013

What would I do if...




         ...I did not have Christian Science in my life?  Many are the times I've said this to myself, as well as to friends and family members.  And I mean it!  Having learned from its teachings that God is a present help in all kinds of trouble is beyond price to me.

          There are readers of this blog who are not yet acquainted with what my religion teaches.  Let me assure you that if you feel alone and afraid before problems of lack, fear, or sickness, you too, can find solace and help through the study of Christian Science.  You can find  out just how near and powerful is your loving Father, God.

        How many of us at times have longed for the carefree, happy days of childhood, for the comfort and love we experienced from our human father and mother. We can't turn back the clock to those years of dependency.  But we can experience even greater love and care in our present day-to-day lives.

        One of the many passages throughout the Bible that reveal God as the tender, watchful guardian of all is, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." (Psalm 46:1)  And Christ Jesus, who was ever conscious of God's unfailing care for His children said:  "He that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone."  (John 8:29)  Nor does our dear Father ever leave you or me alone.  God's constant love and support are still at hand for all who yearn for heavenly help.

       Mary Baker Eddy, the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science, writes in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures (p. 332):  "Father-Mother is the name for Deity, which indicates His tender relationship to His spiritual creation.  As the apostle expressed it in words which he quoted with approbation from a classic poet:  'For we are also His offspring.'"

        I've learned through my study of Christian Science that since man is God's offspring, His image and likeness, as the Bible reveals, man is spiritual and perfect, continously reflecting the Father's love.  This spiritual identity, the true selfhood of us all, is not helpless before the mortal claims of fear, lack, sorrow, and suffering.  These erroneous beliefs, which seem so real to the unenlightened thought, stem from ignorance of man's inseparable relationship to God, divine Love, and are corrected by spiritual understanding. 

        Mortal suffering is an illusion of the physical senses, a lie about God's perfect creation.  It is like the bad dream a child has at night--frightening to him, yet not real to the loved one awake at his side.  And what comfort the child feels when he wakes and sees that he is not alone and there is nothing to fear.

        When, through spiritual understanding, we awake from the mortal dream of life in matter to the reality of the truth of spiritual being, we feel the sense of security, the freedom and well-being come only from a knowledge of spiritual reality.

        I would say to any one reading this essay, you can be free now. You can know the comfort and assurance of man's God-bestowed peace, joy, and security the moment you awaken to the glorious truth that you are ever with your heavenly Father, God.  And you can experience physical healing as well.

       Not just airy words these; this has happened countless times in my own life.