Thursday, November 1, 2012

How will people know?




We may have love for Christ
in our inmost thoughts,
yearn to let this out,
feel sometimes we'd like to shout,
"I am His" --
but we keep it in.
How then will people know?
Shall we get a tee shirt
with JESUS blazoned on the front,
as I saw one day at the mall?
Shall we get a tatoo saying we do?
Shall we walk barefoot over hot coals
to prove our devotion?
Not for me the way to go,
nor I suspect for you.

There is no mystery
as to how we're to
let the world see
where our allegiance lies.
Our Master makes it clear
in these very words:
"By this shall all men know
that ye are my disciples,
if ye have love one for another."

So, there it is.
Not always easy to do,
you say, and I agree.
Oh, how I do.
Nevertheless, can you recall
standing in desperate need of
Christly compassion yourself?
I can.  Many times.
Then how can you and I
withhold what so many
are hungering for,
though they may know it not.
They're God's children,
and respond to the same
saving Love that we do,
do they not?

To live and love as the most
loving man on earth did,
is the way to let our
light not be hid.
Those who need what God
alone can give
will feel the fire of our
desire to bless
and be attracted thereto,
bringing good to them and us,
and truly glorious,
honour to our beloved Lord.