Sunday, July 1, 2012

God, Not Drugs




Where is she going with this, you may want to ask?  Just this.  The Bible states, "I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds saith the Lord".  And He does.  And the drugs I'm referring to are those used to treat bodily ills.  But is not God equal to the healing of our bodies?

You get a resounding "yes" from me, not because I've heard other people tell me so, nor my mere hope that God heals us, but after years of personal experience being the beneficiary of His superior healing power.

It is due to the teachings of Christian Science that this has occurred.  I have learned to seek God's help in sickness, not as a hit-or-miss proposition, but in confident expectation of healing.  Equipped with what this religion reveals of  God's eternal laws, it is a fact that we can turn to Him constantly and never exhaust His omnipotent care.

The teachings of Mary Baker Eddy, who discovered and founded Christian Science, prove false the notion of an intermittently appearing, for the most part, inaccessible, Supreme Being.  She writes in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, page 596:  "Paganism and agnosticism may define Deity as "the great unknowable;' but Christian Science brings God much nearer to man, and makes Him better known as the All-in-all, forever near."

Since God is infinite good, this means that good is infinitely present and includes all that is grand, beautiful, permanent, and true.  The very allness of God assures the presence of the divine fact, regarding every situation, no matter what the material senses claim.  God is ever available to us, and we perceive Him through spiritual understanding.  The majesty and power of the Divine Being can never be relegated to a mere "there" and "was."  His presence must be eternally expressed in terms of "here," "now," "is."  The recognition and acknowledgement of this truth bring to us unimagined peace and health, whever we are.

Admitting to oneself that God is an ever-present, loving Father whose help is always available is a start.  But more than intellectual acceptance of this fact is called for.  God's healing presence needs to be felt, obviously.  Those with testimonies of healing published in the chapter of the book mentioned above entitled "Fruitage" went that indispensable further step.  Most took up Mrs. Eddy's book in hopes of finding relief from suffering and despair.  But they found much more than this.  They experienced -- to a greater or lesser degree -- that blessed state so essential to divine healing, which Paul describes as absence from the body and presence with the Lord.

One man badly sprained his ankle, and as he tell is:  "I took my copy of Science and Health and began reading.  Very soon I became so absorbed in the book that I forgot all about my ankle; it went entirely out of my thought, for I had a glimpse of all God's creation as spiritual, and for the time being lost sight of my material selfhood.  After two hours I laid the book down and walked into another room.  When next I thought of my ankle, I found it was not hurting me...it was perfectly well."  This is on page 603.

What this man experienced from his reliance upon God for healing, and not drugs, you too can experience.