Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Our reason for being




Devote your life to God,

And to His service,

And you will find

Life well worth living,

For yourself, and all mankind.

For this is why we're here,

To help our fellowman

In every way we can.

Don't you make time

For everything else

Under the sun?

Consider things more sublime,

Henceforth live your life

In God and His Holy Son.

Given all that God has done,

And does for us without fail,

Can we not love and serve

Him better than we are?

I know I can.




And thoughts along these lines from the Discoverer and Founder of
Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy:

"Goodness never fails to receive its reward, for goodness makes life a blessing.  As an active portion of one stupendous whole, goodness identifies man with universal good.  Thus may each member of this church rise above the oft-repeated inquiry, What am I? to the scientific response:  I am able to impart truth, health, and happiness, and this is my rock of salvation and my reason for existing."  This is from First Church of Christ, Scientist, and Miscellany, page 165.