Thursday, April 12, 2012

Help for a friend

Had an interesting experience early this morning as I was having breakfast at my favorite spot.  Curtis, who often waits on me and is a special acquaintance, happened to say, "I don't feel so well right now.  If I pass out, just pick me up", he said to us.  I said, "Oh, I'm sure it's nothing serious."

But as I sat there outside in the lovely air, reading from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy (I often take something with me to read), decided to review the definition of "man" found on page 475.  It reads in part, "Man is not matter; he is not made up of brain, blood, bones, and other material elements.  The Scriptures inform us that man is made in the image and likeness of God.  Matter is not that likeness.  The likeness of Spirit cannot be so unlike Spirit.  Man is spiritual and perfect; and because he is spiritual and perfect, he must be so understood in Christian Science.  Man is idea, the image, of Love; he is not physique."

"And further on, 'And God said:  Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.'"

These truths of man's true selfhood as God's creation, His reflection, have come to my aid many times in my life.  And although Curtis didn't ask me for specific metaphysical treatment, I feel my thinking generally about what man truly is was a help to him.  As I left, he said, "Those pains disappeared, just like that."  Whether or not it was what I was thinking about that brought about this result, I can't say.  But I like to think it helped.