Monday, September 26, 2011

A Calming Influence

It was one of those days we probably all experience at some point.  Too many demands being made, everything needing attention at once.  Chaos was at the door.

Then I recalled a phrase I had seen earlier when in an office downtown, waiting for the owner of the business to arrive.  Looking at his plaques on the wall, this one caught my eye:  "Be still, and know that I am God."  It's from the Old Testament (Psalms 46:10), and when my friend came in, I pointed to it and said, "Definitely a good idea."  He nodded and just smiled, being a quite religious man.  We were on the same page we realized.

As I thought about this Biblical admonition, I called a time-out and just sat on the sofa, turning thoughts to God's everpresence.  Also, the truths I've learned through years of studying and practicing Christian Science were a great help, primarily the thought that all is actually under the control of God, divine Mind.  It wasn't long at all before I felt a calming influence come over me.

Another statement from the Bible came to mind and was a great help: "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee; because he trusteth in thee."  Also from the Old Testament, Isaiah 26:3 to be exact.  "Stayed" on Him -- not on the surrounding distractions.

Turning to God in the upheaval around me, as our blessed Master habitually did, brought me a measure of that peace Christ Jesus promises us in these words:  "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."  (John 14:27)  And the rest of the day went smoothly with everything getting accomplished without the stress and strain I was feeling earlier.