Sunday, January 10, 2010

When Discord Rears It's Ugly Head

Was just reading something in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, and it called to thought a most interesting experience I had several years ago when I lived in the Boston area.  I was in my downtown practitioner's office one day, when someone I had been helping called to ask if she could come in from the suburbs for an office visit.  Soon she arrived, and about midway in the conversation, she suddenly became very agitated -- angry actually.  I was so surprised having known this woman for some time.  It wasn't long until things almost got out of control, and for a moment, I wondered if I might be physically set upon. 

I prayed quietly to know God was in control of the situation and didn't even try to explain the comment that must have disturbed her so.  She did leave. and for some time, I sat there, feeling, Whoa, what in the world was that?!  But before long, this passage from the above book (page 207) came strongly to mind, and I share it here.  "The spiritual reality is the scientific fact in all things.  The spiritual fact, repeated in the action of man and the whole universe, is harmonious and is the ideal of Truth.  Spiritual facts are not inverted; the opposite discord, which bears no resemblance to spirituality, is not real."  It was this last thought of the unreality of discord which turned the situation around for me.  And for her, obviously.  As about an hour later, she called and apologized.  The whole problem just melted away. 

Once again, the teachings of Christian Science proved to be beneficial in my life, and I am so grateful to God for them.