Sunday, November 8, 2009

Staying Safe

With two house break-ins in our very neighborhood this past week, and seeing all the news reports of people doing bad things, I have naturally been giving a lot of prayer to staying safe.  Not only for those I love, but for everyone.  As a neighbor said, not only do I have to worry about going into a bank these days, but now I'm threatened in my own home?

There are things one can do to stay out of crime's way, I have found.  It is to the wonderful assurances of God's care throughout the Holy Bible as well as the teachings of my religion that I have a growing sense of security and freedom to go about my daily life as usual. 

The first verse of the ninety-first Psalm sets forth a solid basis for security in these comforting words:  "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty."  I love that image of having a spiritually secure "secret place" right in God's shadow.  And an understanding of man's spiritual selfhood, a recognition of our unity with God,  man's loving Father, enables us to find that "secret place" and dwell in it.

Jesus' conviction of being inseparable from his Father empowered him to demonstrate his dominion over evil.  This is indicated in his words, recorded in John's Gospel:  "He that sent me is with me; the Fahter hath not left me alone."  And as we follow his example to the best of our ability, we, too, can rely on God's powerful protection.  Jesus showed beyond a doubt that the Father never leaves us alone or unprotected; He keeps us continuously secure in His all-seeing, all-present, all-powerful care.

This isn't to suggest that we can blithely go about our daily activities unmindful of circumstances that would threaten our safety.  We need to obey God's guidance in every aspect of our lives if we're to take the right steps to avoid danger in the first place.  Staying safe involves listening for God's directing right through the day.

And in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures its author Mary Baker Eddy writes:  "The history of Christianity furnishes sublime proofs of the supporting influence and protecting power bestowed on man by his heavenly Father, onmipotent Mind, who gives man faith and undestanding whereby to defend himself, not only from temptation, but from bodily suffering."

Through prayer and Christlike living, we gain the wonderful assurance of being safe--wherever we are.