Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A King That Loves Us!

I really really don't know how this is going to turn out, but it must be shared. It will no doubt have to be gone over many times, but the key thing for me always is when I am inspired by some spiritual insight, to get it out quickly.

As the title indicates, I've been thinking about the King of the Universe, our heavenly Father, God. An earlier blog post spoke to this topic when I described a visit I had with a wonderful Christian Science practitioner in Boston, at a low point in my life. As I left his office, he said, "Never forget, you are the daughter of the King." Of course, at that time it went primarily past me, but I did think about it later. It began to take on force.

And more recently, when I received a lovely, gracious reply to a book I mailed abroad -- from her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II -- I've been pondering this a lot. We had been delighted with the PBS series on life at Buckingham Palace, especially the scenes of this most admirable lady with her adorable little Corgis, and I had written her about this. I couldn't help thinking about being children of someone who could, and no doubt does, give her children all good things. I expounded on this in my thinking to reflect on Whose children we are--the King of Kings. Naturally, the infinite blessings that accrue to us because we are God's offspring, we all know. Or should know. But only last evening, the most marvelous insight dawned: that not only are we sons and daughters of the King; this King loves us! Words cannot do justice to what this is making me feel. It is, to me, the whole ballgame.

To go back as a student of Christian Science for many years, I along with too many others, have agreed with the statements of truth that my religion brings out. Uplifting, healing truths about our oneness with God, good. And I've had so many proofs of what this spiritual understanding (in the small degree I have of it) can do for any person. But there was always something missing, and that was that I myself felt really loved of God. I knew intellectually I must be, but just didn't feel it sufficiently. And problems of course arose from this insufficent sense of His everpresent love, this lack of conviction of what Jesus stated.

Now what I'm going to address will prove stirring to many of my readers. But it must be said. And as many who are not Christian Scientists can attest, their own religion probably has many who are not taking Jesus at His word, who do not believe the eternal things He brought out about God's love for us, about God being willing to give us the kingdom. And this doubt of our Lord and Saviour, this considering rather obsolete what He came to teach us, has caused great suffering. As well it should.

But right now, I am focusing on followers of my own religion, too many of whom are just not getting the blessings and healings they should from Christian Science. I, for some time now, have been coming to a clear grasp of why this is so. Just the other day, someone I am helping in the practice said she had never once in her life felt God's love for her. This almost shocked me. But sadly, think of how many could say the same thing.

If what I've written here causes even one of you out there to get Christ Jesus back in first place where He belongs, then mission accomplished. I will post something here that will not be pleasant to some of you, but here goes. After all, it is my blog. Samuel Greenwood, one of the most sublime writers on Christian Science I have ever encountered (next to its Discoverer and Founder of course), said in an earlier address: "I think Christian Scientists need to be on guard, lest they let their thought of Jesus slip into the background. It is a fatal mistake to relegate Jesus to a secondary place, in the divine plan of human salvation. Christian Science is not another kind of Christianity; it is the same one."

This man whose writings all glow with love for Jesus, began the study of Christian Science in Canada at the end of the 19th century when he was almost blind from a problem. He was an accountant and had to leave his work because of failing eyesight. He sat for years in a mainly darkened room. One day, a neighbor told him about Mary Baker Eddy's book, "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures", the reading and pondering of which was healing many. He got the book, read it with what little sight he had left and was marvelously healed. He couldn't do enough to help others find the freedom he had found. He began a little church there in Victoria, became a practitioner and teacher and wrote a multitude of wonderful articles that are blessing many to this day.

Now, to close this, two things: Believe Jesus' promises with your whole heart and soul. Feel God's amazing love for you. And as this is going to be controversial I already know, will not post comments on this one. Call me or email with whatever you wish to air. This will treat as private what will be probably very interesting reactions to this.

God bless you all.