Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Turning back to God

After doing something yesterday on a lighter note, my little ode to a tree stump, feel inspired to tackle something all important. This comes from a fine two-hour program we saw last night on PBS, "Secrets of the Bible". Perhaps many of you saw it, too. But what brought tears to our eyes--no kidding--was when the Israelites once and for all turned from their idol worship back to the one God, who loved them greatly and was due their undivided loyalty. If this isn't any understatement! One of the most moving scenes for me was the depiction of Ezra reading from the 5 books of the Bible to a group listening intently, intent henceforth on doing what God required of them. A thrill ran through me, I can tell you. And it brought to thought the situation I spoke about several days ago--the blatant paganism in our movement, the bowing the knee to it by those who should know better. Pardon if this just pours out, the way a friend who once worked with me in Boston said my writing tends to do. So be it.

But let us ask ourselves: is there anything more crucial than standing up for our wonderful God, helping others get the courage to do so, acknowledging Him as the Giver of all worth having, working for His influence, doing all we can to wake others up from their idol worship? One of the greatest sadnesses I've witnessed the past few years as Boston has gone off the track and instituted things that weaken and destroy what Mary Baker Eddy gave us are those teachers and practitioners who should have taken a stand, and have not. One cannot but wonder, are they serving individuals--or God? I know the argument is, well I would lose my listing/my pupils/my salary. I have heard it all, and I understand the reasoning. But I just cannot admire it at all. Where is their allegiance, for His dear sake?! Let me tell you, one is not truly free until he's willing to lose those things, feeling God is much more important. Once a person reaches that freedom, God can really use him.

One of the most inspiring activities I was involved in when I lived in the Boston area was visiting the world-class Boston Public Library--founded in 1848, the first public library in America and still the largest--and reading the lives of great religious thinkers and doers. I would come away from those sessions, many in the rare book section, so inspired I could hardly stand myself. Especially thrilling and humbling-to-the-floor were the men who risked their all to give us the Word of God in English. They paid dearly for it, were burned up for their efforts. And in William Tyndale's case when I'm tucked in in a toasty bed these nights, said he suffered greatly from the cold stone floor of the dungeon they had him in prior to the stake. He asked pitifully in a letter to a friend if they could give him some covering as he had on only light clothing. Can we imagine even that much standing up for God? This is the primary reason I love public free libraries and have as one of my ongoing charities helping them in any way I can afford. What one reads in them can change a life, give courage, inspire a better life, a life lived not for self, but for others' welfare.

I know, and many of my friends know, that writing letters, asking what on earth is going on, brings no answers that satisfy. We have tried, and gotten nowhere. Actually, have been treated in a way life-long church members should not be treated. But that's all behind now. What we've seen going on, the incline toward Oprah-izing our movement, watering down the periodicals, trying every experiment to interest the carnal mind (not working, is it?) has just strengthened us to stand up for Him as we never have. And I thank our dear loving Father for having this blog to do some tiny part in it. And though it has just gotten underway, is having an effect, which is His doing.

Two last things and I think I'm done on this, for now: just finished reading Jesus' words marked in red in one of my Bibles and my goodness, it was sobering, sobering, sobering as to what will happen to those who persist in evil. I can say with all Christly love in my heart, I do pray that those in authority, even if just one does it, will say, as God is my witness, I am going to disavow the evil and do what's right--cost me what it may. I'll end with something the Leader of the Christian Science movement writes: "Some people never repent, until earth gives them such a cup of gall that conscience strikes home; then they are brought to realize how impossible it is to sin and not suffer." This from her article titled "Reformers." (Miscellaneous Writings, page 237)