Sunday, November 30, 2008

Remarkable women

Ever since I read Nicholas Kristoff's column in The New York Times on Thanksgiving Day concerning a remarkable Pakistani woman, have been thinking about other outstanding women who have put the welfare of others far above their own, even their own safety. Won't summarize this piece for you, but I was both humbled and inspired by reading it. And I've told the author so.

Not surprising, heading up my list of remarkable women has to be the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy. The gratitude I feel for her monumental achievements in blessing mankind is ongoing. Far more than just a lone woman who overcame human obstacles, a women's libber if you will--the way Boston has tried to portray her--the avenues she established through God's direction and survived in doing so by leaning on Him, are still blessing people around the globe. I am in her debt, and happy to be so.

But to my next example of someone head and shoulders above many is my friend Betty, a fellow Tennessean and a Journal listed practitioner. I only just learned that it was she who made the comment on one of my entries, "Turning back to God" about the movement being dead but the Cause continuing. This has sparked much comment around the world, and she needs credit for it. This lady thinks for herself, has a clear sense of what is right about our Cause, and what is wrong. And she does not hesitate to say so, to patients or those in authority. It is always a shot in the arm for me to talk with her about serious issues concerning Christian Science. Some weeks ago I wrote a poem in tribute to her and well, let me give it here:

"Want to Hear Something Good?"


I have a friend here in town,
Betty, who does this habitually,
who when a bank teller or store
clerk says, "Have a good day"
replies substantially:
I know I will. God gave me
this good day, and I don't intend
to pollute it with fear or anger
or ingratitude or feeling down.
I'm going to appreciate this
day God has given
to all His children.
It's up to me to decide
what I'm going to do with it.

Now, you might be thinking,
Ah, she just ignores real issues,
thinks about things superficially.
She ought to have my problems!
This woman's challenges are such
that I would not want to, indeed,
could not, walk in her shoes
for a single day.
But she leans on God
in every way,
and He brings her through.

(Just thought I'd share
this with you.)